This year the chapter is handing out seven scholarships--a large rise since the first years, when they handed out two. The group leading the scholarship effort on the Scholarships Advisory Committee members are Chairperson Merry Overholser, Michael Clawson, Dr. Mary Frances Edens, Patricia Horner, Roger Hull, Vonda Kimrey-Jenkins and Carol Williams-Swoope.
The scholarships are each named after local advocates, pioneers, and people who made a different in the movement for equality. They include:
- The Anne Stanback-Charlotte Kinlock Scholarship, named in honor of Salisbury native Anne Stanback and her wife, Charlotte Kinlock;
- The Linda Ketner Community Service Scholarship, named in honor of Salisbury native Linda Ketner;
- The Bob Page-Dale Frederiksen Scholarship, named in honor of Bob Page, founder and CEO of Replacements, Ltd., and his life partner, Dale Frederiksen, both longtime supporters of PFLAG;
- The Founder’s Equality Scholarship, named in honor of Salisbury-Rowan PFLAG founder Mike Clawson;
- The Salisbury Pride-Scotty Ray Gilbert Scholarship, is named in memory of Scotty Ray Gilbert, a past board member of Salisbury Pride, Inc.;
- The Roger and Linda Hull Scholarship, created to honor the Hull’s gay son and awarded specifically to someone active in their faith community; and
- The Russell E. Hellekson, Jr. Scholarship, created in memory of the accomplished musician who died in 1988.
This year’s scholarship recipients will be recognized at the fifth annual Salisbury Pride celebration on June 20.
Congratulations to the recipients, and to the chapter for doing such a remarkable job of supporting young LGBTQ and ally scholars!